The new year brought me many things. A new year, a new Lumix G3, a new Hummingbird bakery cook book and some new sweet baking apples. These apples, and the terrible misreading of this recipe, brought me a new mistake. Which actually turned out just fine.
There’s actually a funny story behind this one. If you closely inspect the photo, you can test your food knowledge by recognising the pastry I used as puff. And with the amount of filling I used, you are NOT supposed to use puff pastry, as in fact, it puffs up COMPLETELY. Now it’s fine to use puff pastry with this recipe, but just make sure you don’t pile on the filling crazily, like I did. I’m still cleaning the oven out from this recipe. However, according to my tasters, this made the product more appealing and tastier. (I have no idea how)
- Thawed sheet of puff pastry
- 4 extra-sweet cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 10g caster sugar
- Place apples and sugar in a pan, filled with a couple of table spoons of water. Simmer for 10 mins, then cool.
- Line a cupcake tray with pastry and put a dollop of filling in each pie, being careful not to put in too much.
- Cook according to instructions on pastry packet.
- Sprinkle with demerara sugar as soon as they come out of the oven.