Part 2 of my Hunger Games post is here! In this episode, I have no special recipe for you – just the simple one of a cupcake and a reference; visit this wonderful site – Savoury Sweet Life – and you will learn to make many things such as the chocolate butter cream I used for this recipe. It’s currently one of my favourite food sites out there at the moment. But I did spend hours slaving away on the golden decorations on the cupcakes you see before you, determined to carve these tiny features from a block of royal icing and then glaze it over with a sun-kissed spray.
This started off fine – I could easy cut out the shape of a bread loaf with my knife and add little markings on with a toothpick. Then I decided to challenge myself by recreating the famous mockingjay pin – the symbol of Panem’s rebellion – and failed miserably. My hand wasn’t as steady as I would like to think and my ability to etch on intricate details lacks some talent. Ah well. The cakes, intended for my friends were enjoyed by all, and many laughed at my pitiful attempt of a bird. No one could understand how a swordfish was related to the Hunger Games!
If you’re wondering where I buy the decorative spray used in this recipe – I recommend Dr Oetker’s Shimmer Spray in Gold, available from all most supermarkets, at a very good price. But if you are looking for something more substantial and professional, there are plenty of online sites such as the Cake Craft Shop which sell a range of decorations to suit your need.
Makes: 12 or so cupcakes
For the cake:
- 4oz butter, softened
- 4oz sugar
- 4oz self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160 C and place the cake cases in a tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl using a whisk. Mix in the eggs one by one, and sift all the flour in, then fold to combine.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the cases and place in the oven. Cook the cakes for about 12-15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Ice and decorate as you please, with plenty of help from images to guide you!